Whether you chose to move locally or cross-state, moving can be a bittersweet process. Far too many stressful events such as packing and heavy lifting can take away the exhilaration of starting a new chapter in your life. Thankfully, the professionals at AVIV have the experience needed to help provide you with a stress free move. Let the us do the heavy lifting (literately) while you sit back and enjoy the journey to your new destination!
Here are some helpful tips that can help you along the process:
- Plan your move well in advance to make it as stress-free as possible.
- Ideally you should look at getting estimates at least 6 weeks before the move.
- If you are doing some or all of the packing, start 2-4 weeks before moving day. Keep all supplies like boxes, tapes, bubble wrap, etc in ready supply. Start your packing with things you need the least.
- Organize a garage sale to get rid of things you don't need. Remember that you have to dispose of as much clutter as possible. Therefore make sure you really need something before deciding to keep it.
- Make a list of everyone who needs to be notified of the move -- relatives, friends, business associates, colleagues, creditors, schools, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, newspapers, etc.
- Arrange for your mail to be forwarded to your new address at the post office.
- If you are not going to move into your new place right away, arrange for storage of your belongings.
- Use up all perishable food before you leave.
- Make sure you pack all articles for immediate use in your new home separately and either take it along with you or have it loaded last in the moving truck.
- Do not cancel your utilities and phone line until the day AFTER you have moved out. You will require them for the packers. At the same time, make sure these are up and running in your new home on the day you arrive at your new place.
- Do go through the âMoving Checklist" page to help you with your moving process.