Advanced planning is more critical depending on the timing of the move. Obviously, relocating your business during a slow period is ideal. However, if you have the need to move during a critical time of year for your business, call Aviv and leave your move to us.
Print and refer to our handy moving checklist prior to your move:
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Book a moving company. (If you are moving in the busy summer months, you may wish to call movers 2-3 months in advance to ensure availability on your desired date.)
- Notify the post office, current and new.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other service providers.
- Order moving supplies from the moving company
- Sort and discard unwanted items.
- Contact charitable organizations regarding donations of unwanted items.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, and parking space reservations at origin and destination.
- Make necessary travel arrangements such as airline, hotel, and rental car reservations.
- Begin packing, clearly labeling boxes with name, contents, and new locations.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Notify telephone company
- Notify electric company
- Notify gas company of change of address and to schedule disconnection of any gas appliances being moved
- Notify alarm company
- Notify cable company
- Notify Internet Service Provider
- Notify water company and oil company
- Coordinate disassembly of difficult items (e.g. jungle gyms, pool tables, and swing sets)
- Make arrangements for parking permits where applicable
- Make arrangements for babysitter/petsitter for moving day as necessary
- Arrange time off from work, prepare for the move and be present on move day.
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Confirm moving date and time with moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number, cell number, and e-mail address.
- Complete high-value inventory form and choose appropriate insurance option.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers.
- Remove all permanently affixed items you wish to take from walls and ceilings (e.g. drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans)
ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Consolidate clearly-labeled, fragile boxes in one area
- Identify furniture that is fragile by nature or has been weakened by previous damage and prepare to bring it to your crew's attention on move day.
- Separate and label items not intended for transport by movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, and credit cards.
- Confirm telephones are in working order at both locations.
- Defrost, drain, wash, and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, generators, and snow blowers.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill.
- Clear walkways and driveway during inclement weather.